RCA I – Special Education/Personal Care
SPECIAL EDUCATION/PERSONAL CARE
Under supervision, to perform a variety of paraprofessional, instructional, and clerical tasks as directed by instructional personnel, to work in a variety of settings with students with physical, emotional, educational, or behavioral handicaps; and to related work as required, consistent with the job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists instructional personnel with the presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises
- Tutors students individually or in small groups o reinforce and follow up learning activities in a resource center and/or an individual classroom
- Oversees and supervises students during activities in classrooms, media centers, playgrounds, and on field trips; attends in-service meetings as required Assists in maintaining a neat, orderly, and attractive learning environment
- Operates audio-visual and office equipment; performs all relate duties as assigned
- Supervises students; assists students in performing personal care activities, including dressing and toileting
- Demonstrates an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude toward students
- Communicates correctly in oral and written form
- Understands and carries out oral and written instructions
- Maintains cooperative relationships with the supervising teachers, staff, and parents
- Performs basic arithmetic calculations accurately.
Communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and administration. Interpret, apply and explain applicable laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Answer telephones and greet the public courteously. Maintain records, logs and files. Learn principles of training and providing work direction and guidance to others. Compile, assemble, verify and prepare data for records and reports. Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines. Compose correspondence and written materials independently. Work independently with little direction. Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others. Meet schedules and time lines. Plan and organize work. Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately. Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software. Be able to multitask. Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance. Move hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard. Hear and speak to exchange information in person and on the telephone. Sit or stand for extended periods of time. See to read a variety of materials. Bend at the waist, kneel or crouch to file materials.
Must pass qualifying test.