Transportation Bus Driver/Dispatcher
Under general supervision, to schedule and dispatch general and special education bus routes and drivers; to schedule and dispatch extra trip assignments as necessary; to operate a type 1 and 2 school bus over designated routes, assigned by supervisor, to transport students for general and special education and other school related activities; to operate desktop computers; to do related work as required, consistent with job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Schedules and assigns daily bus routes and drivers
- Schedules and assigns extra trips
- Develop efficient and cost-effective routing schedule
- Provides information to district personnel and public regarding services provided by the Transportation Department
- Operates a desktop computer and utilizes the various programs available
- Operates 2-way radio system
- Analyzes situations and adopts an effective course of action
- Carries out verbal and written directions independently
- Drives a bus over assigned routes in accordance with time schedules, picking up and discharging students
- Transports students and staff on special trips to various locations, choosing the best route, and making departure and arrival times as scheduled
- Services buses by checking fuel and oil levels
- Washes buses and cleans interiors; maintains order among students on the bus
- Maintains records of students transported, miles driven, and fuel used
- Advises on repairs needed
- Drives a school bus safely and efficiently
- Performs related duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code and the Education Code applicable to the operation of vehicles in the transportation of students. Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy Methods, procedures and techniques related to a large pupil transportation operation.
- Safe driving practices and techniques.
- First aid and medical care and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Communicate information between administrators and driving staff.
- Maintain order among students on a school bus.
- Maintain routine records.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Hear and speak to exchange information.
- See to read a variety of materials and observe hazards.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Climb ladders or steps.
- Move hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Sufficient physical, mental and emotional stamina to endure long hours and stressful conditions.
- Use proper lifting methods.
Possession of appropriate California Operator’s License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles and a California school bus drivers’ certificate to operate a school bus.
Two (2) years experience in a school district transportation department.