Payroll General Information


The following guidelines have been prepared for your information. To enable the Payroll Department to process payroll in an efficient manner, all of the guidelines should be followed. Any questions relative to these guidelines should be directed to the Payroll Department at extension 62618.

For Payroll Forms click here

Time Cards

All time cards must be legible and submitted with the following information:

  • Employee name (no nicknames or abbreviations) – please print.
  • Employee’s signature.
  • Supervisor’s signature – stamped signatures not allowed!
  • The last four digits of the social security number or Employee ID


Green time cards are due on the last working day of the month.

White, blue, buff, and yellow time cards are to be delivered to the Payroll Department the first working day following the 10th of each month. Please note that November, December, February, and June are the exception months because of the short work month, please refer to the current payroll calendar.Teachers’ “Absence Certificates for Certificated Personnel” (F172) are due within three days after returning to duty.

“Personnel Necessity Leave Forms” (F266) for classified employees must be submitted to the Personnel Department within 72 hours after returning.

Green Time Cards

Employees must fill in their green time card each workday complete with time in, time out, and the number of hours worked. If the employee is absent that day, it should be filled in with sick, personal necessity, vacation, etc.

The left side of the green time card must be filled out completely when absences occur. Please note the line for reporting bereavement. The blank for relationship must be filled in. “Family” will not suffice. The contract states, “Members of immediate family as uses … means one of the following: mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, grandmother, grandfather, great grandmother, great grandfather, spouse, domestic partner, son, daughter, stepchild, brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandchild, great grandchild of the employee or the spouse, aunt, uncle, or any other person living in the immediate household of the employee.”

White Time Cards

Classified substitutes substituting for an absent employee should note on the time card the name of the employee they subbed for. In case of a substitute for a vacancy, it should say “Vacancy” and the last name of the person who vacated that position on the time card.

Certificated employee’s white time cards for extended work year or extra work days must have an authorization and must state on the time card under the remark section what project they are working on.

Blue Time Cards – Certificated

The first four columns number be filled in, then either column 5 or column 6 is to be used.

IMPORTANT! Column 5 – please use the following codes:

  • Ill – for sick leave
  • PN – Personal Necessity Leave
  • JD – Jury Duty
  • BL – Bereavement Leave
  • SB – checkmark column 6

In the “Full Day” column, please list as follows:

  • 1 = full day
  • 1/2 = half a day
  • 1pd = 1 period
  • 2pd = 2 period
  • 3pd = 3 period
  • 4pd = 4 period
  • 5pd = 5 period
  • 6pd = 6 period

PLEASE DO NOT REPORT IN HOURS (3.5 hours or 9:30-1:00)

When a substitute is shifted from one class to another, the correct teacher’s name needs to be placed on the time sheet. In case of a split class, both names should be recorded, especially as they relate to categorical or special education programs. Please be sure to print names so that they are legible.

Yellow Time Cards

Timecards for Adult School are to be identified if they are FEE classes.

Sick leave is to be noted in the space for that day

Buff Timecards

Home Instruction

Certificated Monthly Attendance

Monthly certificated attendance reports from all school sites are reported on a negative basis.


When a classified employee resigns, forward the green time card immediately to the Payroll Department so we may calculate the final warrant.

Verification of Attendance

All time cards, absence reports, and “Absence Certificates for Certificated Personnel” forms must be signed by management personnel – not teachers, program managers, secretaries, etc.

Authorization Forms

All individuals signing time cards are fully responsible for the submission of paper work to obtain approval for overtime, release time, and extra substitutes.

Substitutes filling in for regular teachers need to be coded to the appropriate account on the “Authorization for Extra Work Days/Release Time” form (F6). It is the responsibility of the site administrator and his/her staff to ensure that the proper coding is placed on the authorization to distinguish between the regular General Fund programs and those of categorical or other special funding sources. This is paramount, especially in areas that we need to charge for these services, such as SELPA for special education costs. “Authorization for Extra Work Days/Release Time” forms for certificated staff are to be approved by the Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Services. Those for classified staff are to be approved by the Director of Fiscal Services.

Classified and certificated overtime (white time cards) and certificated school business (blue time cards) must be substantiated by a signed copy of the “Authorization for Extra Work Days/Release Time” form which does not have to be attached to the time card.

By signing the time card that relates to overtime and release time, you will be verifying that you did, in fact, submit all of the necessary paper work and that the paperwork was approved.

It is the responsibility of the person signing the card to indicate the appropriate budget code, title of project, etc. to which the individual’s salary should be charged.

The Payroll Department will match up time cards and authorizations.

An issue has been raised concerning the additional period (6th period) that a substitute can work and where it should be charged. Whether the substitute is teaching a class or doing some other activity, it should be reflected on the time card and paid out of the regular school site substitute account, unless it is directly related to a specific categorical program or to special education classes for which the substitute teacher was hired.

Note: Please be sure that “Authorization for Extra Work Days/Release Time” forms (F6) are submitted in advance of the event (i.e. staff development days, etc.) and that they have the proper budget code to be charged.